Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cloth Diaper Approved Products!

I've only been cloth diapering my little one for two months now, but I think I have a few golden nuggets to share about the world of fluff!  In fact, my neighbor's sister-n-law is thinking about cloth diapering her baby.  So, during our afternoon walk, my neighbor was picking my brain about cloth diaper brands and other tricks of the trade.  I have to admit that I felt mighty knowledgeable when telling my neighbor about my bumGenius diapers and sharing my laundering tips.  I felt as though I was the neighborhood "Fluff Guru!"

So, in case you're unfamiliar with cloth diapering, you may not know that you can't use your average store bought laundry detergent to wash your cloth diapers.  Per the bumGenius web site:
  • Ingredients in certain detergents may ruin your cloth diapers or cause your baby to have a diaper rash. When washing cloth diapers, always use a detergent free of perfumes, dyes, whiteners, brighteners, softeners, enzymes, or other fabric enhancers. Using too much detergent may cause cloth diapers to leak. When using detergents not made for cloth diapers, use 1/2 the amount of detergent suggested by the detergent manufacturer for a load of 18-24 diapers.
I have been using Charlie's Soap for washing my cloth diapers and have been happy with it.  I bought my Charlie's Soap from my local cloth diapering store, Booty Duty Cloth Diapers, in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  There are other cloth diaper friendly detergents out there such as: Rockin' Green Cloth Diaper Detergent, bumGenius Detergent and Thirsties Diaper Detergent.

Now, we come to the issue of using diaper creams with cloth diapers.  Like cloth diaper safe laundry detergents, there are cloth safe diaper creams.  I have been using Earth Mama Angel Baby's Angel Baby Bottom Balm.  First off, Angel Baby Bottom Balm scores a big fat ZERO on the EWG Skin Deep Data Base.  Second, it's more then a diaper cream.  Angel Baby Bottom Balm also helps treat thrush and is a great first aid salve.  During the summertime, I was viciously attacked by a pack of hungry mosquitoes.  They must have thought my legs were crème brûlée because they nearly devoured my pour legs!  I'm highly allergic to mosquito bites and the bites quickly whelped up, turned red and began to itch horribly.   I used Angel Baby Bottom Balm to help treat my mosquito bites and it brought me some much needed relief!  

Another product I have also been using is Sweet Knee Bun GlazeSweet Knee Bun Glaze also scores a ZERO on the EWG Skin Deep Data Base.  The Bun Glaze smells yummy and actually reminds me of the glaze I make for rum cake!  There is a third product that I'm aware of, but have yet to try.  Diaper Rash and Thrush is a cloth diaper safe diaper cream that is made by Motherlove Herbal Company.  Motherlove's diaper cream also scores a ZERO on the EWG Skin Deep Data Base.

So, as you can see, not only are there a plethora of choices in brands and styles of cloth diapers, but there are also many choices when it comes to selecting your cloth diaper safe laundry detergent and diaper cream!

I hope this post has been helpful to you!  If you're reading this and you cloth diaper, how long have you been doing so and which is your favorite cloth diaper brand?

Happy Blogging!
Toni The Chic Momma
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...