Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Let's Talk Diaper Cream.

Whether you use cloth diapers or disposables diapers, at some point you've used a diaper cream.  Some parents only use a diaper cream when their little one has a diaper rash.  However, I'm one of the parents who use a diaper cream at every diaper change.  My oldest has extremely sensitive skin and I learned quickly that using a diaper cream at every diaper change was necessary with him.  Coating his little bottom at every diaper change acted as a diaper rash preventive.  So, I was recently asked if I had a favorite diaper rash cream/ointment.  Truth is, I don't have a favorite.  I  have several favorites!  I'm going to share with you some of my favorite diaper creams that are regularly stocked in my arsenal of diaper creams/balms/ointments that work great for cloth diapers and even disposable diapers!


Image Credit
The first cloth diaper safe diaper ointment that I used was the GroVia Magic Stick.  I purchased it from my local cloth diaper store, Booty Duty Cloth Diapers.  The one thing that I absolutely loved about the GroVia Magic Stick is the "stick" form.  When using it at diaper changes, you can keep your hands clean while applying the  diaper balm.  It's super easy to use and goes on quite smoothly.  I primarily keep the GroVia Magic Stick in the diaper bag for easy cloth diaper changes on-the-go.  Organic, and petroleum-free, it's a wonderful cloth diaper safe diaper ointment!  GroVia Magic Stick comes in a 2 oz. "stick" applicator and is available at www.gro-via.com.

Image Credit
Earth Mama Angel Baby has a fabulous diaper ointment called. Angel Baby Bottom Balm. First off, Angel Baby Bottom Balm scores a big fat ZERO on the EWG Skin Deep Data Base.   Second, Angel Baby Bottom Balm is cloth diaper safe.  When I began cloth diapering my youngest 7 months ago, I quickly learned that not all diaper creams are created equal.  Some diaper creams are cloth diaper safe and others are not.  Thirdly, Angel Baby Bottom Balm is more then a diaper cream as it also helps treat thrush and is a great first aid salve.  Last summer, I was viciously attacked by a pack of hungry mosquitoes. They must have thought my legs were crème brûlée because they nearly devoured my pour legs!   I'm highly allergic to mosquito bites and the bites quickly whelped up, turned red and began to itch horribly.   I used Angel Baby Bottom Balm to help treat my mosquito bites and it brought me some much needed relief!  Angel Baby Bottom Balm is available at select retailers nationwide.  Click here to search for an Earth Mama Angel Baby retailer near you.  Angel Baby Bottom Balm comes in two sizes:  30 ml.(1 oz.) for $9.95 or 60 ml.(2 oz.) for $14.95. 

Image Credit
Another cloth diaper safe diaper cream I have been using is Sweet Knee Bun Glaze.   Sweet Knee Bun Glaze also scores a ZERO on the EWG Skin Deep Data Base.   The Bun Glaze smells yummy and actually reminds me of the glaze I make for rum cake!  I especially like the Bun Glaze because it's a keep-your-hands-free application.  You simply pump the desired amount onto your little one's fluffy bottom and you're good-to-go.  That easy application makes Bun Glaze an ideal choice for when you're out-and-about with your little one.  You don't have to worry about having a mess on your hands... literally.  Bun Glaze is available at www.sweetknee.com.  Bun Glaze is available in a 1.6 oz bottle for $7.95 and a 3.2 oz. bottle for $12.95.

Image Credit
Another cloth diaper safe diaper cream that's also a "thrush buster" is Diaper Rash and Thrush by Motherlove Herbal Company. Motherlove's diaper cream also scores a ZERO on the EWG Skin Deep Data Base.  When using Diaper Rash and Thrush, you will notice that a little goes a long way.   There's no need to "glop" it on your little one's bottom, which definitely saves you some green.   Diaper Rash and Thrush has a pleasant smell, too.   It's not overpowering and has a light, clean aroma.  Bonus... If you're a nursing momma, Diaper Rash and Thrush can actually be used on your nipples as a soothing salve.  Diaper Rash and Thrush is available in a 1 oz. jar for $9.95.  Click here to find a retailer near you or you can order at www.motherlove.com.

Image Credit
The latest diaper cream that I've been using is Ouchie Diaper Balm from Nassim Naturals.    While not yet rated on the EWG Skin Deep Data Base, Ouchie Diaper Balm is made from the finest, natural ingredients.   The Ouchie Diaper Balm comes in a circular container and one of my favorite features is how compact the container is.  The container size is perfect for your diaper bag as it takes up little space.  The smell is pleasant and I love the natural chamomile, lavender and myrrh.  It's a cloth diaper safe ointment with a smooth texture and glides on quite nicely.  Ouchie Diaper Balm is available in a 2 fl. oz./60 ml. container for $14.00.  Visit www.nassimnaturals.com to order!


Image Credit
Another product I've used is Boudreaux's Rash Protector Spray.  This convenient spray is great for diapering on-the-go and is a must-have for the diaper bag.  I, however, have only used this product with disposable diapers as I don't believe the Peruvian Balsam is cloth diaper safe.  The clear, continuous spray makes applying Boudreaux's Rash Protector Spray quick and easy.  Boudreaux's Protector Spray comes in a 2 oz. bottle and retails for $5.99 and is available at many retailers nationwide such as Babies 'R Us, Buy Buy Baby and Walmart.

I hope you've found this posting helpful!  There are many wonderful diaper creams, balms and ointments on the market and the above are simply my favorites.  So, now that you know my favorites, what are your favorite go-to diaper creams?

Happy Blogging,
Toni The Chic Momma



** If you enjoy reading Toni The Chic Momma's musings, please like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter! Oh, and how about checking out the Networked Blogs? Thanks for the social network lovin'! **





2 comments:

  1. LuSa Organics makes Booty Balm and it's the only one we use for Luke's occasional diaper rash. It's amazing stuff and it smells divine!

    ReplyDelete

Drop Me A Line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...